Wednesday, March 01, 2006

"I had an uncle who once played for Red Star Belgrade"

As reported by Mr Banks, my second novel FAGS AND LAGER has got himself nominated for what's known as a "Lefty" award, which is for crime novels that are funny. Funny ha ha, or funny peculiar, no one is saying. I don't care about that. The last thing I won was an 800m race (2:12), many years ago, and a mere whiff of success is enough to cheer me up for a while. Other nominees include Jasper Fforde and Peter Guttridge, so I'm not preparing an acceptance speech just yet. But it's good news. I've been feeling like shite all week, and this gives me a lift. This glass of Talisker in my hand also gives me a lift.

The winner will be announced at the Left Coast Crime convention, Bristol, March 18th.

Pardon me while I say: "Go on FAGS AND LAGER! Go on my son!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! Way to go, "Fags and Lager!"


Tavin
Owner and Moderator of the Charlie Williams Unofficial Official Fan Club.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/charliewilliamsfanclub/?yguid=179586513

You too, Charlie.

Charlie Williams said...

Tavin, thanks a million. As for the, erm, fan club, I'm really not worthy. But so long as you dig the books, I'm happy!

Jenny Davidson said...

I was SO PSYCHED to see that, Charlie. Well deserved. BTW I think your books are about a hundred times funnier than Jasper lots-of-f's. However I expect his sales console him for the slight direness of his books (oh, I shouldn't be cruel, I know they are very popular and well-regarded by friends whose opinions I respect, they are just not the kind of thing I can read)....

Anonymous said...

Hi, Charlie. Lefty-nominated, huh? That's so cool and I'm extremely bloody envious... but good on yer. May all your sales be BIG ones...
Adrian

Charlie Williams said...

Thanks Jenny and Adrian. You're just too kind.